I’m kind of tired of people saying 2016 was such a bad year. Sure, it’s had its bad times, celebrity deaths, and tragedies just like any other year. But if you take a step back you will recognize that this year has really been no worse than any other. The devastating effects of sin have their way every year. An unbiased look back on any year will show you that 2016 wasn’t really any worse.
In fact, 2016 had its fair share of really good moments. Here are just ten of them:
- Pokemon Go got people, especially kids, outside and exploring their neighborhoods and beyond. For some of the bad publicity it got, the game was actually a great way for people to discover places they never had, meet people they might not have otherwise, and actually have fun. Is that such a bad thing?
- The Olympics brought us people like Katie Ledecky, Simone Biles, and Michael Phelps. They did things that pushed the limits of human capability. And we cheered them on because we share a common homeland. Their triumph was ours.
- The World Series gave us a champion that hadn’t won in a hundred years. Though it wasn’t the way I wanted to see the Series end, it brought untold joy to millions of people, and a wonderful connection amongst generations.
- Boaty McBoatface made us laugh at least a little this year. The Natural Environment Council in Britain asked public to name one of their new research boats. Boaty McBoatface won the contest by a long shot. The boat was still christened the Sir Richard Attenborough. But one of its submarines was named Boaty McBoatface. See? We do still have a sense of humor.
- Chewbacca Mom showed us that sometimes the simple joys in life are enough to make us laugh or bring a smile to our face. The woman purchased the mask for herself at Kohl’s after running some errands at the store. She filmed herself laughing and her genuine laughter became contagious. Her Christian faith shone through the whole story.
- A Super Moon was seen in America. It was the closest the moon was to earth since 1948. We won’t see the moon that close again until 2034.
- The Triumph of the Human Spirit was shown when a 46-year-old mother and wife hiked twenty-six miles through heavy snow to save her husband and son. They were driving through Grand Canyon National Park when a blizzard stranded them. She saved their lives.
- A Teacher Put Up a Billboard in Kentucky reminding her former students coming home for Christmas break that she still loves them and prays for them. Teachers are one of our most undervalued vocations, and stories like this show us why.
- The Economy was robust. The Stock Market hit record highs. Wages rose. Unemployment hit its lowest rate in nine years.
- The Power of Eating a Meal with Someone was demonstrated by Florida State football player, Travis Rudolph. When he saw a young boy with autism eating lunch all by himself he went to sit with him. The powerful image went viral as people identified and as the boy’s mother found herself in tears.
What was about 2016 that you found particularly good?