So…I tipped my spleen a bit on Facebook yesterday, and boy did it get a response. This is what I posted — “Pet Peeve: It’s not a MUTE point…it’s a MOOT point! Stop. Saying. It’s. A. MUTE. Point!” All kinds of people “liked” my status.
Then people started adding their own pet peeves regarding language misuse:
- How about the misuse of “literally.” As in, “I told my mom and she literally exploded!” Really? Bits of her went flying everywhere in a big boom?
- “I could care less.” Ummm…are you sure that’s what you mean?
- I want a person’s interest to be piqued–rather than peaked or peeked.
- It’s realtor NOT real-a-tor.
- I’m tired of hearing about “object failure.”
- How about ath-a-letic? Isn’t it athletic?
- Add IRregardless to that list…cringe-worthy, indeed.
- Nuclear, not nuc-ya-ler.
- I used to hear people refer to the liberry.
- I am mute on the subject simply because it is so moot!
Sometimes I want to hit the MUTE button when I hear our language being so abused and misused.
What about you? What pet peeves do you have regarding misuse of the English language?