Christmas is just around the corner. You’re finding it difficult to think of the perfect gift for the creative person in your life. You really want to surprise her with a creative gift. You really want to boost his creativity with a gift that keeps on giving.
Here are ten gifts for the creative person in your life. They are guaranteed not only to surprise, but to boost the creative juices that every “creative” desires. Just click on the item, and it will take you right to place where you can make a quick and easy Christmas purchase.
- Show Your Work!: 10 Ways to Share Your Creativity and Get Discovered This is Austin Kleon’s follow-up book to Steal Like an Artist, and has incredibly practical information to enhance your creativity and get your art noticed. Interesting tips like “read the obituaries every day” will fuel the fire of any creative.
- Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True InspirationEd Catmull, the president of both Pixar and Disney Animation tells the fascinating story of how computer animation was perfected. As he reveals his personal, autobiographical information, he also shows how teamwork and telling great stories enhances creativity to the n’th degree.
- Incase Portable Power 2500 Every creative uses a smartphone so consistently that the battery dies incessantly. I have found that this portable charger (under $30) charges my iPhone quickly with a long-lasting charge from the source.
- When I Was Younger This collection of songs by the new band, Colony House, was my favorite album of the year. These songs are filled with the kind of hope that every creative needs to stay the course. I dare you not to start singing along after just a listen or two.
- Wine and the Word: Savor & Serve Kurt Senske creatively uses the metaphor and the study of wine (!) to show how it enhances our appreciation both of Scripture and of the Christian walk. After all, wine is mentioned, Senske says, 521 times in the Bible.
- Aluminum Credit Card Wallet RFID Blocking Case Here’s a great stocking stuffer for your favorite creative. We creatives can sometimes tend to be a little “messy” or “disorganized.” I was tired of having a George Costanza wallet, so I switched to these, and have never turned back. I love the way my “wallet life” has become organized and clean.
- Wide Open Here’s a collection of songs from the uber-creative songwriter, Steve Moakler. He opens with a song about how he’d “rather make a living being myself,” and carries us along with songs of love, and work, and life that will inspire any creative in their art or play.
- The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It for Life Twyla Tharp (yeah, that Twyla Tharp…the dancer/choreographer) teaches a master class on creativity in what I consider to be a classic on the subject. Though you may have never even danced a polka, you will learn from Tharp how to be inspired, how to “scratch” for creativity, and much, much more. Every creative should own this book.
- Consider the Wildflowers Jewelry If you have a female creative in your life, give her some of this creatively simple jewelry, or send her to a “Consider the Wildflowers Workshop” (for flower design and other creative pursuits). Once she sees the web site or reads the blog, she will be hooked on this jewelry (and 10% of each sale goes to various charity projects).
- The ShipIt Journal Five Pack Does your creative friend or relative have difficulty getting work and art out into the world? Give them this 5 pack of workbooks from Seth Godin, master marketer and chief “artist,” and watch them ship their work and art out into the world faster than you can say “creative.”
What “creative” gift would you suggest I get for myself this Christmas?