One of the keys to being a blogger is a certain degree of transparency. I want to build relationships with you, my readers. I want you to know me better. And I want to know you, too.
Toward that end, I want to tell you twenty things that you may have never known about me. But you have to promise: no laughing; no making fun; no mockery. OK? OK.
- I once had permed hair, down to my shoulders.
- I was the lead singer of a Christian, heavy metal band called Messenger.
- I shook President George H.W. Bush’s hand.
- I played Jesus in Godspell, Joseph in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, and Captain Von Trapp in The Sound of Music.
- I was a starting half back on my high school football team.
- I swam the butterfly on my high school swim team.
- I met my wife, Tammy, in a Christian band called Joy, Inc. We traveled the entire country for nine months.
- While in Joy, Inc. I sang in a maximum security prison in Texas.
- When I was a boy scout I got a badge for doing a mile swim in a lake.
- Along with my daughter, I stood on a Broadway stage.
- I held Bono’s hand, supporting him on the edge of the stage as he sang during a U2 concert.
- I coached baseball for twelve years.
- I flew to Israel on Y2K (remember that?)
- My first car was a Chevy Vega.
- The first band I saw live in concert was ELO.
- My first job was as a caddy. I later became a bus boy at the same country club.
- The first album I ever bought was Queen’s A Night at the Opera.
- Mice scare me to death.
- I have lived in Wisconsin, Missouri, North Carolina, and Virginia.
- I once went surfing in the Pacific Ocean.
Now that you know more about me, I’d like to know more about you. It’s your turn.
Tell me one surprising thing about yourself.